A 72,000 sf building for newspaper offices and broadcasting studios. This building capitalizes on the natural environment with big overhangs and louvers to create shade on the facades while allowing natural light to penetrate the interior spaces. Modern technology was the key to accomplishing this as it allowed for a building that was far more weather resistant and fuel-efficient with vast expanses of hurricane-resistant glass.
The employee cafeteria located on the top level along the street, adjoins a covered terrace above the entrance lobby allowing outdoor dining. The terrace also provides a dramatic space for staging community events for which the paper is also known.
* AIA Miami | Award of Merit in Architecture, Unbuilt Category
* AIA Miami | Award of Excellence
* Society of American Registered Architects (SARA) | Design Award of Honor
* Business Week/Architectural Record | Citation for Excellence
* Sarasota Manatee Business Magazine | 2005 Commercial Design of Distinction Award