Arquitectonica designed the master plan, architecture, and landscape architecture for Miami’s most ambitious development: Brickell City Centre (BCC). It all begins with the idea of integrating the project into the city. Arquitectonica did not want to create an enclosed mall but rather an outdoor environment with enough porosity that there was no threshold or boundary. The phased, 7-block, transit-oriented development focuses on connectivity, smart growth principles and sustainable design. The project integrates a renovated Metromover transit station.
The project is an example of urban redevelopment where mixed-use buildings create a well-balanced neighborhood with opportunities to work, live, shop and socialize in an established community. Featured throughout is a masterpiece of art and science, The Climate Ribbon™, an elevated trellis of steel, fabric and glass that spans 150,000 square feet (13,940m2) and connects the city blocks while protecting visitors from inclement weather, capturing sea breezes, collecting rainwater for reuse, and allowing visitors to enjoy natural light in an open-air experience.
Phase 1 of the development opened in 2016 and is comprised of 5 million square foot (464,515m2) including 729,000 square feet (68,000m2) of retail and entertainment; nearly 1,000,000 square feet (93,000m2) of office; nearly 1,400 residential units; a 352-key EAST hotel; 89 serviced apartments (operated by the hotel); multiple above ground parking garages and two levels of underground parking. During its construction, the development was the largest construction project in the United States. Arquitectonica designed Brickell City Centre to meet both LEED-Neighborhood sustainability standards and LEED-New Construction (NC) and Core & Shell (CS) accreditation for the development’s individual buildings.
* AIA Miami | Merit Award of Excellence for Urban Design
* AIA Miami Hospitality Design Awards | (EAST Hotel) Best Overall Hotel (Merit Award of Excellence)
* AIA Miami Hospitality Design Awards | (EAST Hotel) The People's Choice Award
* AIA Miami Hospitality Design Awards | (Quinto La Huella) Best Restaurant (Merit Award of Excellence)
* AIA Miami Hospitality Design Awards | (Sugar Miami) Best Nightclub, Bar & Lounge (Honorable Mention)
* Urban Land Institute (ULI) | Project of the Year
* The Architects Newspaper - Best of Design Awards | Honorable Mention 2017 Mixed-Use
* American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) | Project of the Year - Category III
* South Florida Business Journal Structures Award | Best Mixed-Use Project
* Fellow of the American Society of Landscape Architects (FLASLA) | Frederic B. Stresau Award
* Fellow of the American Society of Landscape Architects (FLASLA) | Environmental Sustainability Honor
* Fellow of the American Society of Landscape Architects (FLASLA) | Award of Excellence